Thursday, September 27, 2007

A Trip to Oregon


Recently Laura and I took a road trip to Oregon to get some lumber for a current furniture project. We visited a small urban mill called Urban Recycled Hardwoods in Beverton,OR just outside of Portland. Then we traveled south to Albany to see Goby Walnut, a small mill that specializes in Oregon Black Walnut.


Owner Art Blumenkron has an amazing inventory of walnut, with some slabs measuring over 48" wide. They have an impressive amount of veneers and carving stock. He was extremely patient while I made him unstack piles of veneers so I could get exactly what I was looking for.


The commission is for a coffee table an entry table and mirror, and secretary. I selected boards for color and graining specifically for each piece. I was able to get fletch cut (sequenced) boards which makes grain matching easier and makes a more cohesive piece.

I chose these pieces with curly figure for the top of the coffee table.

No comments: