Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Anatomy of a Board continued..


This piece is a Getabako, or shoebox, for a client's entry. I made it with the board I described in my previous post. To give a floating appearance, I designed the piece to hang on the wall. I finished the Getabako by hand rubbing a tung oil and wax finish.


The lighter wood in the shelves is Western cedar. I used this aromatic wood to make inserts so the moisture from our damp Seattle footwear won't damage the wood.


Above is a custom pull I made from a small piece of the same board and inlaid into a mortised drawer front. I love small details like this on furniture. They truly show the maker's hand.

The drawers are made from a piece of figured western big leaf maple felled in Lynnwood, WA and locally milled and air dried by AJ's Custom Sawing. This figure is called fiddleback, or sometimes curly or tiger. Like the name implies, it came from the beautiful figured woods used on musical instruments.

No comments: