Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Danish Modern inspired Console Table


This piece of sapele lumber was almost 24" wide and 20 feet long, and was only about half of the tree's radius. This lumber was plantation grown, but much Sapele lumber is not. I try to honor the tree with a second life that befits its grand previous stature.


The frame and panel bottom is a nice detail I learned from my teacher Ross Day. Once a student of James Krenov, Day is now a studio furniture designer living in Poulsbo,WA. He would always express his displeasure in seeing a beautiful piece, then looking at the back (as most of us woodnuts do) and discovering plywood nailed in the rabbet joint on the back.


This is a detail shot of the open drawers before the lower stretcher was added and prior to finishing. The legs in the square for were very sturdy for the width but once I put a 3/8" radius on the legs it would wobble slightly if the drawers were shut vigorusly. The client felt I was being a bit over critical, but I feel a piece should stand straight and tall in the same fashion that it once grew. I added the lower shelf in the picture below to add stability.


This is the completed piece with drawers slightly ajar. I really like the slender legs and delicate form this table.The lower stretcher adds a bit more presence to piece's form. It also supports a floating shelf which repeats the split top detail. The space between boards allows the wood to move seasonally without stressing the joinery.


I finished the console with six hand-rubbed coats of oil and a hand-buffed satin wax topcoat. The light in this picture reflects the warm glow of the finish.

2 comments:

laurie said...

Such a gorgeous table--both in design and the quality of your craftsmanship. I keep scrolling back up to look at it!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.